River is the mass of water flowing in a natural channel over the earth surface from the high land to low land under the influence of gravity. The following are the economic importance of rivers;-
1. Water supply for both domestic use, industrial uses, industrial uses and for irrigation purposes.
2.Rivers are used for local transport (Navigation) they provide inland ports on their courses E.g. St Louis on River Mississippi in U.S.A.
3. Provide sites for hydro-electric power generation. Harnessing of hydro-electric power is common all over the world. E.g. Mtera dam in Tanzania, Seven forks dams on river Tana in Kenya.
4. Rivers are sources of building materials. Sand for building is scooped from the river beds and valleys like in Machakos in Kenya.
5. Rivers also form sources of various alluvial minerals like gold and diamonds for examples alluvial diamonds are mineral along the course of River Orange in South AAfrica and Namibia.
6.River deposit alluvial soils a long their valleys during floods and at their deltas. These alluvial soils are fertile and hence for agriculture e.g. along the Nile valley and its delta in Egypt.
7. Rivers have features, which provide tourist attractions such features are like waterfalls and gorges e.g. Victoria falls.
8. Rivers form natural boundaries between communities, districts, provinces and countries e.g. Kagera river between Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda