Non aligned movement is the association of countries that during the cold war had no formal commitment to either of the two power blocs in the world, which were led by the united state and the union of the soviet socialist republics.
The group was formed in September 1961 by a conference of 25 heads of the state in Belgrade, Yugoslavia. The conference was organized by leaders of the country that had recently freed themselves from foreign domination and rejected renewed ties to a big power. Prominent among these leaders were Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru of India and president of Surkano from Indonesia, Gamal Abdel Nasser of Egypt, Kamwe Nkrumah of Ghana, Sѐkou Toure of Guinea and Josip Broz Tito of Yugoslavia;-
1. Where once the non aligned movement sought counter the confrontation of the cold war, today our country building strategies to reach the millenniums development goals and struggling to close the inequality gap. NAM still relevant institutions which can help developing countries achieve millennium development Goal.
2. Today there is growing and disturbing gulf in income between the world’s poorest and richest countries. This needs to be addressed decisively through new forms of international governance that will decrease disparities and help lift developing countries out of poverty.
3. The voice of global south is not always heard, as it should, that is painful true of our voice in trade negotiations, where developing nations have been so instrumental in setting the agenda. Lamentable setbacks in the Doha trade talks have lead some complete setting for something less that a true development round or for no round at all, that must not happen.
4. Non aligned movement can give developing countries a chance to frame the issues in a way that allows them to move forward together. Consider also the need for the south to be heard on an issues, which is carrying out for global discussion international migration, ore countries are now
involved in and affected by this phenomenon then an any time in history, its impacts on developing nations profound
5. Non aligned movement had duty to work for real progress in resolving political crisis facing the world today. The daily violence we are witnessing in Iraq and Afghanistan, African and Middle East provides a powerful reminder the need for judiciary intervention on the political front. The war in Lebanon has been a wakeup call for many government around the World, they are becoming more a and more convinced of the need to deal with the root of the problem
6. Non aligned movement is needed to remind and encourage Government to fulfill their obligation to their people at home. Fighting extreme poverty and the spread of HIV/AIDS, while taking action against the surge of youth unemployment, ending suppression of opposition group and the media, taking serious and sincere measure against corruption, protecting the environment and ensuring that the exploitation of our precious natural resources benefit all our daughter and sons, not just a privileged few.